Sympa Menu

ctrl-shift - Re: [Ctrl-Shift] Article on technology, politics, and the reconstruction of education

ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu

Subject: Social discussion of CS in K-12

Re: [Ctrl-Shift] Article on technology, politics, and the reconstruction of education

  • From: Bertram Bruce <chipbruce AT mac.com>
  • To: Martin Wolske <mwolske AT illinois.edu>
  • Cc: "<ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu>" <ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [Ctrl-Shift] Article on technology, politics, and the reconstruction of education
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 17:23:28 -0400

Martin, thanks for sharing this. Nice article. I’d be happy to continue the
dialog via email, skype, whatever.

Have you seen the news about Finland schools:
<http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/finland-schools-subjects-are-out-and-topics-are-in-as-country-reforms-its-education-system-10123911.html>
and
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2015/03/26/no-finlands-schools-arent-giving-up-traditional-subjects-heres-what-the-reforms-will-really-do/<http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2015/03/26/no-finlands-schools-arent-giving-up-traditional-subjects-heres-what-the-reforms-will-really-do/>.
It’s relevant to the reconstruction idea.

I’d also be interested to get feedback on my course for May on inquiry-based
learning (and help spreading the word about it):
<http://chipbruce.net/teaching/inquiry-based-learning-class/>. The readings
list is very tentative at this point, so suggestions are very welcome.

> On Mar 18, 2015, at 6:23 PM, Wolske, Martin B
> <mwolske AT illinois.edu>
> wrote:
>
> On Monday the Digital Literacy for ALL Learners research assistants and I
> discussed some of the similarities and differences between
> Dewey/Inquiry-based learning and Freire/popular education as it informs our
> demystifying technology approach. This following a brief email dialog Chip
> Bruce and I had on the topic late last week. Today I got a chance to read a
> paper by Richard Kahn and Douglas Kellner, "Paulo Freire and Ivan Illich:
> technology, politics and the reconstruction of education”. The paper also
> periodically references Dewey, especially at the end as they envision a
> reconstructed education. Very interesting reading that I’d love to discuss
> at some point. I think it describes aspects of our collective approaches
> well.
>
> — Martin
>
> <PauloFreireIvanIllich--TechPoliticsEducation.pdf>

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.19.

Top of Page