Sympa Menu

ctrl-shift - [Ctrl-Shift] Looking for a professional opinion: "Down with Algebra II"

ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu

Subject: Social discussion of CS in K-12

[Ctrl-Shift] Looking for a professional opinion: "Down with Algebra II"

  • From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte AT gmail.com>
  • To: "ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu" <ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: [Ctrl-Shift] Looking for a professional opinion: "Down with Algebra II"
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 08:08:24 -0600

Good morning,

I am hoping to solicit professional opinions from practioners, educators and researchers. Having climbed (and struggled) through 4 years of college math classes that I have never ever used at all, what are the pros and cons of replacing the theory-heavy math classes with something a bit more practical, with an eye towards training democratic (lower case 'd') citizens?

re: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/education/2016/03/algebra_ii_has_to_go.single.html

The author of the article, Dana Goldstein, is speaking mostly about Andrew Hacker's "The Math Myth", but also balances it out with a couple other opinions/theories as well. The ideas put forth by Ms. Goldstein resonated with my own experiences, so I am seeking other perspectives.

--
Charles Schultz

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.19.

Top of Page