Sympa Menu

ctrl-shift - [Ctrl-Shift] CS in the curriculum

ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu

Subject: Social discussion of CS in K-12

[Ctrl-Shift] CS in the curriculum

  • From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte AT gmail.com>
  • To: "ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu" <ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: [Ctrl-Shift] CS in the curriculum
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 14:05:12 -0600

Good afternoon,

Kerris and George will have already seen this, but for the benefit of others, a local software company (Pixo) has suggested to a Parkland CS curriculum committee a "18-week certificate program, followed by an apprenticeship in partnering tech employers":
http://primeacademy.io/

What I like about this is that it is not merely coding, but also helps to foment the mindset of solving problems and working in teams.

On top of that, I read on slashdot.org an article that Microsoft is attempting to push a slightly easier, more basic and much more applicable CS program into high schools with the intent of opening more doors in STEM-related jobs:
https://advancesinap.collegeboard.org/stem/computer-science-principles

I mention these because I think they might be relevant to the goals of CTRL-Shift and the recent efforts with U4Innovate.

--
Charles Schultz

  • [Ctrl-Shift] CS in the curriculum, Charles Schultz, 12/17/2014

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.19.

Top of Page