Sympa Menu

ctrl-shift - RE: [Ctrl-Shift] What do teachers do? Article

ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu

Subject: Social discussion of CS in K-12

RE: [Ctrl-Shift] What do teachers do? Article

  • From: "\"Reese, George Clifford\"" (reese AT illinois.edu via ctrl-shift Mailing List) <ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu>
  • To: "sacrophyte AT gmail.com" <sacrophyte AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Miriam Larson <larsonmi AT u4sd.org>, "ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu" <ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: RE: [Ctrl-Shift] What do teachers do? Article
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 17:50:30 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Hi Charles,

I think those who believe in a culture of measurement think things are on course.
They will talk about accountability. They say, “how can schools be accountable without measurement?” I would say, “Go look at the students’ work that is all over the walls in in classrooms. See the joy in their presentations. Check out their portfolios and their school performances.”  But that does not have the scalable, readily quantifiable, and most of all, easily comparable ring or “rigorous assessment.”

So, in short, I’m am game for making change.

But we are voices crying in a wilderness. We live in a culture fixated on measurement.

George