Sympa Menu

ctrl-shift - Re: [Ctrl-Shift] FW: [IMTE] Uprising against high-sakes testing

ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu

Subject: Social discussion of CS in K-12

Re: [Ctrl-Shift] FW: [IMTE] Uprising against high-sakes testing

  • From: "Reese, George Clifford" <reese AT illinois.edu>
  • To: "sacrophyte AT gmail.com" <sacrophyte AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu" <ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [Ctrl-Shift] FW: [IMTE] Uprising against high-sakes testing
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2016 18:47:17 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

We have brave teachers. But all of us have to pick the battles worth fighting. We want to keep our jobs. We weigh the challenges against opportunities. And what if we fight and win? There are always unintended consequences?

And, bravery doesn’t always lead to success. Eleven years ago, a Champaign teacher, Presidential Award winner, and leader in mathematics education in Illinois resigned in protest against the NCLB and how it was being implemented in the Unit 4 schools. You can read about it here: http://goo.gl/qOaGJr

That’s bravery.

She paid the price, but the tests endure. Of course, Kathleen set an example for us that we should not forget. I think that’s one thing the community can and must do is not forget.

George