Sympa Menu

ctrl-shift - Re: [Ctrl-Shift] What do you think about badges?

ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu

Subject: Social discussion of CS in K-12

Re: [Ctrl-Shift] What do you think about badges?

  • From: katrina.kennett AT gmail.com
  • To: sacrophyte AT gmail.com
  • Cc: "ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu" <ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [Ctrl-Shift] What do you think about badges?
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 20:37:14 -0500

Hi Charles! Someone who has helped me think about games and education is Scott Nicholson - http://www.scottnicholson.com/ - he focuses a little less on badges and more on various types of play and learning that games support. He writes about games in different spaces (libraries, classrooms, online) and uses the term “gamification” often - like this one on gamification techniques.

The Digital Media Lab also published a working paper in 2011 about badges that might one to look through. Their conferences in 2014 and 2015 have a few papers on badges (if you change the year in the URL you can go back and see some conversation trajectories).

Excited to hear how your tinkering/prototyping/experimenting goes,
ksk

Katrina Kennett
Literacy & Language, Doctoral Student
Education Resources Consortium, Consulting Practitioner