Sympa Menu

ctrl-shift - [Ctrl-Shift] What do you think about badges?

ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu

Subject: Social discussion of CS in K-12

[Ctrl-Shift] What do you think about badges?

  • From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte AT gmail.com>
  • To: "ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu" <ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: [Ctrl-Shift] What do you think about badges?
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 09:56:51 -0500

Good day, Shifters,

I am keen to learn what you all think about online badges (ie, openbadges.org). During the fall I am a part-time teacher at Parkland, and I am seriously considering using badges to signify completions of projects (#pbl). Are these just a passing fad, or do they have viable merit in the education profession?

What I like about them is that it forces me, as an instructor, to "packetize" the content of the class in such a way that it makes sense to the world at large. It is not much different than leveling up on games (and hence the whole gamitization historical context), or gaining "achievements" that unlock new characters, attributes or accessories.

Toughts and comments are appreciated. :)

--
Charles Schultz

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.19.

Top of Page