Sympa Menu

ctrl-shift - [Ctrl-Shift] Technology and education: pros and cons

ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu

Subject: Social discussion of CS in K-12

[Ctrl-Shift] Technology and education: pros and cons

  • From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte AT gmail.com>
  • To: "ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu" <ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: [Ctrl-Shift] Technology and education: pros and cons
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 11:59:50 -0500

Happy Friday, Shifters!

Just read a very relevant article about technology in education:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/06/04/technology-wont-fix-americas-neediest-schools-it-makes-bad-education-worse/

To balance this perspective out, I also watched Sugata Mitra's TED talk about how computers can help form groups of self-teaching children (he has several other TED talks that are actually quite amazing).

My take-away is that it is easy to be negative and point fingers, but there are amazing people doing amazing things all over the world. True, computers and technology are not a silver bullet nor a panacea, but I don't think true critical thinkers ever let that stop them. *grin*

--
Charles Schultz

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.19.

Top of Page