Sympa Menu

ctrl-shift - Re: [Ctrl-Shift] IT trends in schools: driving decisions with data

ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu

Subject: Social discussion of CS in K-12

Re: [Ctrl-Shift] IT trends in schools: driving decisions with data

  • From: Avigail Snir <avigail AT snir.org>
  • To: "Smith, Kathleen Rapp" <smithka AT illinois.edu>
  • Cc: "ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu" <ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [Ctrl-Shift] IT trends in schools: driving decisions with data
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 16:57:03 -0500

A very good point from the teachers' side. I wonder what type of data the administration needs to the tune of so much money.

Avigail

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 4:24 PM, Smith, Kathleen Rapp <smithka AT illinois.edu> wrote:
As a former teacher I can say that data useful to a teacher is usually gathered by the teacher.  The data received from the "administration" is always from the semester (or generally year) prior to when the teacher needs it.  The life of a student changes so drastically in 12 months, even if only by maturity.  Good teachers learn to take what last year's data says with a grain of salt.

In the later years of my teaching it was no longer acceptable to "go down to the last year teacher's room and have a conversation about Stu."  That was the best data.  Talking about a particular student with another human who spent 180 days with that student.

If a teacher knows how to use a spreadsheet and pull info from a database, then maybe good decisions could be made for a "full class" decision, but short of that, the ole "quartile report from the ISAT" was fine for a base from which to work.  There is no way the IT guys pulling the data can answer every question a teacher might ask, so there is no reason to collect, store and analyze data that will have no real purpose. In many cases the person asking for the data analysis is not sure what they want, or implies that correlation implies causation when of course we all know that is not true!    Sure the district can use the data to make points, but districts have been known to make data lie, so district data driven decisions are always suspect.

I can not see any argument for spending that type of money to manage data.

Kathleen

Mathematics is the Language of the Universe.

Kathleen R. Smith
University of Illinois Urbana/Champaign
Department of Mathematics, Retired
217 687-2889