Sympa Menu

ctrl-shift - [Ctrl-Shift] more food for thought: "Educational technology is a Trojan horse"

ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu

Subject: Social discussion of CS in K-12

[Ctrl-Shift] more food for thought: "Educational technology is a Trojan horse"

  • From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte AT gmail.com>
  • To: "ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu" <ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: [Ctrl-Shift] more food for thought: "Educational technology is a Trojan horse"
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 10:44:27 -0500

Good morning, Shifters,

I started to craft an email to David Hohman, but then as I got into it, I realized this might be relevant for a slight wider audience. So, David, I am still thinking of you, but I invite others to discuss as well:

http://etale.org/main/2016/05/20/audrey-waters-right-conspiracy/

At first it sounds scary - "dismantling public education"?!? But then Mr. Bull spells out his thought process a little more, and says:
"I am completely okay with challenging these more established technologies or systems, and I do not start from a place that gives them privilege because of their history or broader acceptance in society or the education establishment. These deserve just as robust of a critique as do the new technologies."

Unfortuantely, by the end he is getting way too broad and vague, but in general, it is my sense that the purpose of CTRL-Shift is to shift the mindset of people away from the "old" way of doing education towards a more people-centered and fulfilling experience.

--
Charles Schultz

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.19.

Top of Page