Sympa Menu

ctrl-shift - [Ctrl-Shift] Hour of Code 2014

ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu

Subject: Social discussion of CS in K-12

[Ctrl-Shift] Hour of Code 2014

  • From: Matt Sly <slyma AT champaignschools.org>
  • To: "'ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu'" <ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: [Ctrl-Shift] Hour of Code 2014
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 14:38:58 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Last week at the Champaign BOE meeting, U4 unveiled the u4innovate site, designed to highlight all the awesome things happening in Unit 4.  Building from that presentation,  I am wanted to make you all aware of an effort the Champaign Unit 4 Ed Tech Coaches are trying to spearhead in Unit 4.  Last year we had some really great success with the Hour of Code.   Almost 1,000 Champaign students (mostly at Kenwood and Carrie Busey) joined the 15 million students around the globe, who gave 1 hour in December to introduce themselves to the world of computer science.  This year, the ETCs and Dave Hohman are hoping to build off the success of last year and get 5,000 U4 students coding for the Hour of Code during Computer Science week - December 8th-12th

Accomplishing this will require work at all of our schools in Unit 4 from k-12.  We realize this does not make 5,000 computer scientists, but our hope is to increase awareness for students and teachers that CS is vital to the academic success of our graduates.  However, just having classes at the high schools or having a leading elementary school like Kenwood is not enough.  We need to have CS seen as having value at all of our schools.  Ed Tech Coaches are in the process of reaching out to each of our buildings to create plans for making the Hour of Code work for their schools, including the resources they have available to them and the needs.  So, why am I am writing this?

We need your help and support"
1) Advocate for this being a the first step in getting Computer Science in the minds of our students, teachers, families and the community of Champaign schools.
2) Check out the Hour of Code website (if you have not so you know what we are hoping to do - http://hourofcode.com
3) If you or some others at your fingertips are available, please consider reaching out to a school to help support the hour with students.  It is a fun experience and a great volunteer opportunity.

We want this to a positive experience for everyone, that is the only way this builds enthusiasm for CS in K-12 education.  We really hope you are able to support the Hour of Code.  It was a really positive experience in pockets last year, this year we want it to be an experience for the majority of our students.

Thanks,
-Sly

Matt Sly

Ed Tech Coach