Sympa Menu

ctrl-shift - Re: [Ctrl-Shift] Capability Approach

ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu

Subject: Social discussion of CS in K-12

Re: [Ctrl-Shift] Capability Approach

  • From: "Wolske, Martin B" <mwolske AT illinois.edu>
  • To: "Reese, George Clifford" <reese AT illinois.edu>
  • Cc: "<ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu>" <ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [Ctrl-Shift] Capability Approach
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 16:55:43 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

I agree, George. Back in my undergraduate peace fellowship days we called it intellectual masturbation, but in avoiding it at all costs we did sometimes end up in the ditch of death -- the repeated redirection of what should be transformative practices and pedagogies to instead build further ditches that further entrench existing systems. I don't have to look any further than the latest DCEO grant we were just awarded. Our budget was slashed in the award because although DCEO highlighted the ISTE Standards as the metrics we should especially focus on, they felt that all the proposed staffing and material to support a project-based, critical thinking approach to digital literacy was flash, and that the sole important metric is how many completed courses on keyboarding, opening and closing programs, and using the Internet so that they can become employed and help grow the economy. Computational thinking for all, Makerspaces, even progressive education have all likewise been used to champion goals and values far from the roots of the initial purposes of these. I think capability approach might give a theory to help give a clearer statement of "for what". I'm also including a paper by Dorothea Kleine in which she proposes a Choice Framework that tries to operationalize capability approach to allow a better evaluation of achieving the "for what". I also think Bruce and Rubin's situated evaluation fits well with capability approach in that vein.

-- Martin

P.S., The Stillman and Denison paper was a good starting point for me, but might not be the best sole paper for our purposes. I'm still looking for the right summary paper myself.