Sympa Menu

ctrl-shift - Re: [csPiggers] draft 1 of Computing Connections to Robotics proposal

ctrl-shift AT lists.mste.illinois.edu

Subject: Social discussion of CS in K-12

Re: [csPiggers] draft 1 of Computing Connections to Robotics proposal

  • From: "Smith, Robert Alan" <rasmth AT illinois.edu>
  • To: "Reese, George Clifford" <reese AT illinois.edu>, "csPiggers AT lists.mste.illinois.edu" <csPiggers AT lists.mste.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [csPiggers] draft 1 of Computing Connections to Robotics proposal
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 22:18:12 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Here is a first cut...

Special Interest (SPIN) clubs were introduced in Illinois 4-H to allow youth
with similar interests to focus their activities on a single topic; one such
interest area has been robotics. Robotics clubs have grown rapidly in the
last 5 years. At the present time, there are approximately 600 youth
involved in 40 robotics clubs in the state and an additional 500 youth in 30
after school clubs. Approximately 100 youth in 10 clubs are high school aged
with some of them programming in RobotC and/or Labview. In addition, 50 youth
in three clubs are involved in clubs learning how to program Arduino
microcontrollers. Most of the additional youth are aged 8-14 and are working
with LEGO Mindstorms robots and are programming in NXT-G. The only other
organized programming language offered by Illinois 4-H is the pilot program
using Arduinos. SPIN clubs are a great opportunity to introduce newer
programming projects as clubs are always recruiting young members to replace
those that graduate or move on to high school clubs. These high school teens
are also excellent resources to help teach younger youth new and existing
programming options. In addition, the low cost of implementing new Computer
programming curriculum should attract new programming specific SPIN clubs.